Thursday, 14 February 2013

If Hallmark said jump off a cliff...

...would we all? Those were the romantic words my husband uttered last night in bed. He does make me laugh. Earlier in the week he tentatively said "yeah what were your thoughts on Valentines this year?" I said I wasn't fussed, although I wouldn't mind a card, I had got him one plus some chocolates. He finds the whole thing bizarre - the point of Valentines day is to let someone you know (or not) that you fancy them.  Its not the cost of flowers (which are silly) that he struggles with - its the notion that you are giving the person you married, have had intimate relations with and 3 children a Valentines card!  You can't really argue with his logic. Besides he is a romantic - far more than I'd ever be. He always articulates beautifully his feeling for me (I'm hopeless!) and conjures up words in cards with ease, surprises me throughout the year with little gestures/gifts and general thoughtfulness.

A garden ornament that my husband makes - RIPPstones
In the same conversation last night he confirmed he had been to the card shop - I was surprised as I thought he would purchase the card today as he's busy with work.  He replied "not as surprised as I was - I thought what am I doing? I've got 6 kids (3 from previous marriage), am married and I'm here buying a Valentines card?!" Followed by "If Hallmark said jump off a cliff would we all do it!" I think we may go the whole hog next year and say no to cards! Its all a big bragging competition in any event - last year one of the mum's in the playground was exclaiming loudly that her husband had bought a giant bouquet blah blah. I did then think mmm when is mine turning up?! When I told my husband this he said "oh sorry, I didn't realise I was competing against other husbands!" Well next year we're going to go for it and say No! to Valentines and No! to Hallmark!

In other news, I used my 3kg weights yesterday with the workout and they weren't hard enough - I need to go up to 5kg which means more weight money! I have only done 2 workouts this week but will fit one in tomorrow and Saturday for sure. I've been busy arranging a Pamper Night for the school and baking (see below). I have two blog posts I want to write before the week is out too. See you soon....

Valentine Disco cakes for tomorrow and the hubster got one too!

 


6 comments:

  1. Lol and the competition really hots up inside the school as all the kids get their Valentine's; it starts so early. I'm pleased I caught up with your blog again. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms loodles noodles (I always think that when I see you1) me to thanks for stopping by x

      Delete
  2. As usual completely agree with you! We don't 'do' Valentines either. I think it's a 'holiday' for teenage girls.

    I bucked the trend and bought my hubby an Anti Valentines Day card started by my friend Moomum. It said "I love you because you have a big cock" with a picture of a bird on it. Who said romance was dead lol My hubby was disappointed he couldn't display it on his desk I work. I think he should have.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kat - yes I am thinking like that the older I get and I'm surprised that I have carried on for so long! Love the big cock card - I'll have to remember that for next time! x

      Delete
  3. I don't think we've ever bothered with cards. My way of competing is not to compete at all. See how superior I am?! But then I'm not overly keen on cards at all. In my most snobbish moments I have been heard to utter, 'why would I ruin a three grand sideboard with a one pound card'. Yeah, the sentiment is a little lost on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is superior indeed - yes I can imagine you with cards. I would love someone to get you one of this giant or better still padded card! x

      Delete